The 2013 National Football League Mock Draft
A new NFL season is around the corner but first each team must select new players who will hopefully help build an even better team than the year before. The 2013 NFL draft has arrived this April 25 and hundreds of eager young men fresh out of college are about to embark on fulfilling their dreams and becoming an NFL player. The futures of both coaches and general manager, team owners and players is forged in just 3 exciting days. So sit back in anticipation as teams await their turn to select and sometimes pull off big trades to move up and grab the player they covet greatly but first take a stroll through what might be or what might have been with Mandy's Pages' annual Mock Draft. Read, critique and enjoy and then see how close we predicted it on draft day.
In the 2012 edition of the NFL Mock Draft, I provided readers with an introduction for those new to mock drafts. This year I move directly to my picks for the 2013 NFL Mock Draft.
1. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14) Luke Joeckel –OT from Texas A&M
With disgruntled offensive tackle Branden Albert likely to be traded, new coach Andy Reid will seek a new left tackle to protect recently acquired QB Alex Smith.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-14) Dion Jordan -DE from Oregon
It’s a real toss up as to whether the Jags will draft offensive tackle Eric Fisher or a defensive end. As DE is their greater need they may lean towards drafting DE Dion Jordan.
3. Oakland Raiders (4-12) Sharrif Floyd -DT from Florida
The Raiders have had a lot of 1st round busts in recent years so they may look for the safest bet in this draft and that might be DT Sharrif Floyd
4. Philadelphia Eagles (4-12) Star Lotulelei -DT from Utah
The Eagles could go offensive tackle here but are invested in their current OTs and with a brand new 3-4 defense they will need a difference maker to anchor it.
5. Detroit Lions (4-12) Eric Fisher -OT from Central Michigan
Matthew Stafford can be a top 5 QB but each year he gets hurt because of shoddy protection. Detroit could use a DE here as well but protecting your QB is more important.
6. Cleveland Browns (5-11) Dee Milliner -CB from Alabama
Cleveland reportedly loves Dee Milliner and by pairing him with Joe Haden, he would have one of the best cornerback duos in the league.
7. Arizona Cardinals (5-11) Lane Johnson -OT from Oklahoma
Arizona’s left tackle Levi Brown has been inconsistent at best and is coming off an injury. It’s time they get more reliable protection for their QB.
8. Buffalo Bills (6-10) Ryan Nassib -QB from Syracuse
The Bills have promised their fans a new starting QB and reports out say they love Ryan Nassib.
9. New York Jets (6-10) (via Tampa Bay) Barkevious Mingo -OLB from LSU
After acquiring the 9th pick from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for Darrelle Revis they’ll waste no time drafting their biggest crush OLB Barkevious Mingo.
10. Tennessee Titans (6-10) Jonathan Cooper -OG from North Carolina
The Titans have vowed to improve their offensive line this year for their star running back Chris Johnson. A good start would be drafting the best guard in the draft.
11. (Trade) Minnesota Vikings (10-6) (via San Diego) Tavon Austin -WR from West Virginia
The Vikings have a major crush on Tavon Austin and view him as Percy Harvin’s replacement. With 2 1st round picks they are willing and have the ammo to trade up 12 spots to get their guy.
12. Miami Dolphins (7-9) Ezekiel Ansah –DE Brigham Young
Miami will likely pick up OT Branden Albert in a trade with the Chiefs. That allows them to focus on a pass rusher to line up across from Cameron Wake.
13. New York Jets (6-10) D.J. Hayden -CB from Houston
Here’s where the Jets replace Darrelle Revis with the highly talented Hayden.
14. Carolina Panthers (7-9) Sheldon Richardson –DT from Missouri
The Panthers need a disruptive DT to stop the run and pressure the QB. They get a beast in Richardson.
15. New Orleans Saints (7-9) D.J. Fluker - OT from Alabama
The Saints just signed Drew Brees to a huge contract and he took a lot of hits last season. Drafting Fluker as their right tackle will insure Brees plays many years into that contract.
Image Credit: NFL Logos